Spectral Karyotyping (SKY)
SKY (24 color FISH) analysis of metaphase chromosome preparations of human or mouse cells. Assay performed by clinically certified cytogenetic technologists and reviewed by an ABMG-certified director, with results available in 10-15 days.
What it detects:
- Microscopic (>5-10 Mb) genomic abnormalities
- Balanced and unbalanced translocations
What it doesn’t detect:
- Submicroscopic abnormalities (<5Mb genomic abnormalities)
When to use:
- As an adjunct to g-banded karyotyping
- To define complex rearrangements
- To identify marker chromosomes
- When publication-quality spectral karyotypes are needed
Abnormal spectral karyotype of a four-way translocation.